What is 5G, and why is it important to the cell phone market? What impact will it have on technology companies?
Have you heard of 5G and wondered what the fuss is all about? With so many leading carriers investing millions of dollars in 5G and some gadget companies already launching their 5G devices, 5G wireless networking technology is set to change the world and positively impact not just the tech industry but other sectors too.
What is 5G?
5G is the next generation of mobile internet communications, succeeding the 4G (LTE/WiMax), 3G (UMTS) and 2G (GSM) systems. A product of cutting-edge network and the latest research, 5G aims to offer faster broadband speed, cost reduction, and more reliable connections on mobile devices. With 5G, data transmitted over wireless broadband connections will be multitudes faster than current locations and are expected to travel at an average rate of 1GBps with a latency of 1ms or lower for purposes that require real-time feedback. Analysts believe that 5G connectivity will play a key role in the emergence of the Internet of Things (IoT) by providing the capacity to keep people connected at the same time wherever they go.
When Will 5G Service Launch?
Although discussions on 5G wireless networking technology are mounting, it might take some time for it to spread across the globe as the release date varies from country to country. Verizon launched 5G in the United States on October 1, 2018, in areas of Houston TX, Sacramento CA, Indianapolis IN, and Los Angeles CA. Other carriers like Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T are planning to roll out mobile 5G between in 2020.
However, EE, the United Kingdom’s largest network operator, plans to launch 5G in 2020 in cities like London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham, and Manchester. Across the world, countries like Canada, Mexico, Japan, and China are also targeting 2020 for the launch of the 5G service network connectivity.
Why is 5G important to the cell phone market?
Over the years, the cell phone market has evolved radically. Gone are the days when people had to carry cell phones that are as large as boxes. When 3G was rolled out, a lot of cell phone users were amazed that they could browse the internet and even check their emails. Then came 4G LTE, which allowed users to access a company database using their mobile phones. With the advent of 5G, so many people are optimistic that this technology will have a lot of positive impact on the cell phone market. Here are some ways 5G will change the cell phone market.
- Tech companies will take advantage of its speed: One of the biggest benefits of 5G network is the increased speed it offers. Research has shown that 5G is thousands of times faster than 4G. With this speed, people could download full-length videos just in seconds. Cell phone companies are set to take advantage of speed to create phones with higher resolution and better memory capacity.
- A total re-positioning of the smartphone industry: Due to the speed and power of 5G network, Researchers opines that 5G will expand the smartphone industry in so many ways and probably replace the internet connection people use today.
- A blend of smartphone and cable companies: If it is true that 5G has the capabilities of replacing the standard internet connection, people might also start relying on 5G for TV signals, which may lead the traditional cable companies out of business. This may also cause the smartphone and cable companies to form a merger.
Impact of 5G on tech companies
Some of the positive ways in which 5G will impact tech companies include:
- Improved Customer Experience: One of the biggest benefits of 5G to tech companies is its ability to transform customers and organization relationship. 5G has the ability to take customers experience to a new height due to its increased speed and reduction of latency.
- Innovation and Productivity: 5G will also lead to more innovation, better productivity and increase the quality of life outcome.
- Elevated Digital Messaging: For tech companies, 5G will also foster meaningful direct customer’s engagement. It will also speed up the conversational experience of the customer care team.
- Faster Content Delivery: Due to its speed, 5G will also lead to faster content delivery.
- Expanded Internet of Things: 5G will ensure increased inter-connectivity of devices.
Finally, 5G will definitely change the smartphone industry in so many ways. With its increased speed and reliability, almost all sectors of the economy will definitely have a feel of its impact.